>

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My Tara at Gyumed Monestary


The first time I went to India and arrived at The Gyumed Monestary in Mysore where our little Monk resides and does his studies...there was this wonderful female dog..sort of German Shepardish..but also with a mix of the Indian breed that is so commonly seen on the streets of India. She seemed to take a liking to me..as most dogs do as they sense my love for them. She had this collar around her neck that has those Christmas Bells..you know those big fat bells..so you always knew when she was coming around. There were lots of other dogs there as well..maybe 5 or 6, but she belonged to one of the Monks I was told..and she just roamed around free, as they all did.
On my second trip to the Monastery, upon our arrival..we were at one of the temples on the Monastery grounds and we were standing out in front talking and all of a sudden I heard the bells..and they were getting closer...and I said to Chaku and Ray..here comes that dog! She actually ran up to me and jumped up and tried to lick my mouth..she remembered me! I believe she heard my voice and remembered..even after a full year!
This year when we arrived..I couldn't find her anywhere...Chaku said he did not know where she was...and I suspected maybe she had died. I was really sad. I had brought a bag of Chicken Strips for dogs to give to her...and she was nowhere to be found.
That night Ray and I made our way to the Guest House at the Monastery and went up to our room and it was dark. We were just getting ready to get undressed and take our "beloved" bucket bath..(not really my fav)..all of a sudden I thought I heard some bells...the same bells that I heard 2 years prior on my Tara (my name for her)...I told Ray to listen..and we went outside and we did..we heard her bells jingling!! It sounded like it was coming from the rooftop...so we left our room and started up the stairs to the rooftop and when we got up there we heard nothing...we waited...and I said "Tara..it's Tracy and Ray...where are you...." We waited a moment more and all of a sudden she came running to us! It was Tara! She was barricaded up on the roof by a make-shift boarded fence...but I was able to open it and get in. Ray had his flashlight and we could see that she had some cuts and bites on her hind end. She jumped up on me and I hugged her and loved her up..and it was such a relief to find her. It made my heart melt with love.
The next day I asked Chaku why she was up there and he said he did not know..but we later found out that she had been attacked by some other dogs and she was up there for her safety.
Like our little Guardian Angel..she was living above our heads on the rooftop every day and night while we were there. I had brought her a bag of treats..so everyday we were there we would spend time with her and give her treats.
I was really sad this time when I had to leave her..I have been worried about her...it's just me and my crazy love for animals..and especially dogs. I just feel for them so much. That is the one really hard part for me about spending time in India...I have this hurt while I am there whenever I see a sick..mistreated dog...it tears me up inside something awful.
I heard that Tara is better now and she is still on the roof..but now Chaku goes up and sees her for me...I can hardly wait to see her in January again...I am bringing her a HUGE bag of Chicken Strips and I think she knows I'll be back..I told her before I left in April :0)
Om Shanti

3 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

What a wonderful story! I believe Tara knows you're going back. Dogs have an incredible sense like that -- my childhood dog used to scratch at the front door just before I turned onto our street, knowing that I was on my way home from school.

xoxoxoxoxo

Tracy said...

aren't they just the most receptive little creatures!
or as my bumper stcker on my jeep says..."Dogs are little people who wear fur coats"!
xxooxxoo

Linda-Sama said...

loved the post! and I love that house in Chennai....

I also go to Chennai, I study at the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram, will return January 2008, third trip. And I also teach yin yoga -- I've been studying with Paul Grilley and Sarah Powers for 4 years now....Manju comes to the studio where I trained in Chicago...

shanti!
linda