>

Friday, June 8, 2007

prayer beads...malas....lessons....


I have been collecting them for awhile. I have quite a few strands that I have purchased from various places. I have crystal Mala's, sandalwood, rose quartz, bodhi seed, rosewood, rudraksha,bone, a coral Mala with turquoise from Tibet, and then I have the strand that is the most dear to me.

It was given to me this year while I was in Mysore visiting my Monk.

It came as quite a surprise...we were out visiting the various Temples and Monasteries.

I was searching around in the Monastery shops for a strand like the one my Monk had around his wrist. It was not costly..maybe 3.00 in our money, but I loved the way it looked around his brown wrist. He was helping me look, he speaks about 5 different languages..so each store we would visit, he would ask them.

No one had them...we must have looked in 10 different shops around the area.

Finally, on our way home back to his Monastery, we looked in one last shop. It was run by the local Tibetans and behind the counter..there it was! A strand just like Chaku's!

So of course I had to get it. Chaku took it in his hand and took his off of his wrist...the strand that he wears everyday and prays with...

and he said to me.."Mama, would you like mine and I will take this one"?

My eyes filled with tears (i told you i cry easily) and I said "Chaku, I can't take those from you...those are your prayer beads..." and with that he took his and placed them around my wrist. I now think back on that moment..and I know it wasn't anything for him to give them to me. He wanted me to have them..and one of his daily practices being a Monk is of course...

Non Attachment...something I struggle with daily. Learning that everything in Impermanent.

He teaches me so much..it's just really GETTING it that's hard to do.


Om Mani Padme Hum

1 comment:

A bird in the hand said...

What a moving story, Tracy. You are blessed to have Chaku in your life. xoxo