>

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Avijit from Calcutta


In the movie "Born into Brothels" one of the young boys who really touched my heart was Avijit. He reminds me so much of my son, in that he is SO artistic. He is such a wonderful artist....truly amazing. He has won numerous awards in India for his artwork. As well as a talented photographer.


But there was something he said in the movie that really resonated within me...and I just can't forget his words he spoke to the other children who were viewing his photographs in Amsterdam.

He said to them~"Although it is hard to see and there is sadness in it, we must look at it, because it is the truth"

Wow...that coming from a boy his age..you just can't even imagine what his daily life must have been like. I notice something about the children when I travel to India. Even the very young little toddlers I see it in them as well...what I see is a very old soul inside of a young child's body. They have to grow up so fast there because most children go to work at a very, VERY young age. They are responsible for bringing in the money to help support the family.

In some cities you will see 10 year olds serving hard liquor to grown men in the roadside stands even. It is hard to see...and many of my friends tell me they couldn't bear to go there and see it...but it must be seen...because it is the truth.

No comments: