>

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Idiom in Fort Cochin, India


There is a place in India where my husband and I truly feel is our second home...

whenever we are there it's sort of like this huge "sigh" of relief...and we just know in our heart of hearts this is where we love being.


Its called Fort Cochin and it is in Kerala, South India. It's a quaint little town right on the water and we have many friends there now as we have been there three times already and always stay at least a full week to 10 days every year.

There is this great bookstore that I always load up on books at. It's called "Idiom Booksellers" and the tiny little Indian woman that runs it always gets this huge smile on her face every year when I return and walk in. I don't know her name..and she doesn't know mine...but were friends never the less and she knows I will always be back!

She is so soft spoken and gentle as she glides about her little store, re shelving books or rearranging.


My husband always knows when we get to Fort Cochin that one of my first stops is her little bookstore! If you ever get there stop by and have a look around...I know you won't leave empty handed!!

4 comments:

Ursula said...

This one could become my favourite bookstore, too.

Tracy said...

Oh Ursula...no doubt about it!!
They also have the most beautiful journals that are made of old Sari's. I bought one this year and it is just to die for!

Unknown said...

I'm in absolute agreement! "Idiom Booksellers" is a fantastic shop with very personalized and reliable service, from an amazing proprietress. They have an excellent selection of English language books on Indian culture, religion, history, sites, plants, wildlife, etc. I've been there twice... I still don't know her name, but I know that she will do her utmost to help me find the books I'm looking for. She also does orders and international deliveries, which saves you the trouble of having to carry your books home! Highly recommended for bibliophiles.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to know they're still open. Idiom really is a great little bookstore.