>

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

accepting what is.....







each day I walk past this construction site..and I always smile at the women who work there..one day I noticed a little beige puppy prancing around the site. I never saw its mom or another puppy with it or nearby. I never really thought much about it, just that it was a darling little dog. Today i was walking by again and I noticed that it had a bloody face...so I walked closer and walked up into the construction area and saw that the puppy had been hurt..pretty badly. I had some chicken dog treats in my bag, as i will often feed the street dogs. I went up and broke the chicken strip into little pieces and she started eating it..she was really hungry. I felt so bad for her..the cut was deep. But I wanted to walk away so that she wouldn't follow me...so I went up to a little place to eat and sat down and ordered some food..but I couldn't stop thinking about that little dog. My food came and I could hardly eat...I thought I had to do something to help her. So I asked the waiter if there was a Veterinarian nearby and he in fact told me that Yes, there was. Just up the street....He told me he would go with me to take the dog if i would wait 30 mins.
So I left and went to the nearby tailor's and bought a piece of cloth to wrap her in as she was so dirty and bloody. I went to the construction site..and after they finally understood what I was trying to say, one guy brought her out and handed her to me. I wrapped her in the cloth and walked back to the restaurant and the owner came out and drove me to the Vets office.
I had to sit with his wife for half an hour but the doctor finally returned and told me that he would have to re-cut her eye area in order to stitch it up and it would hurt her. I asked him what else he could do for her. he said he would clean it and give her a shot of antibiotics and it would help her heal more quickly...he did it all free of chagre by the way...
So she got cleaned up a bit and he gave her a shot..he told me that I should keep her...That of course is impossible..though if I could I would. It was heart wrenching for me. he told me not to take her back to the construction area..to take her into Gokulum..and so I did. I wrapped her in the cloth and we walked back to Gokulum. On the way I bought her a bag of puppy food..but she didn't really like it..she loved the chicken strips.
I took her to a safe area in Gokulum near some trees in the grass and sat with her for awhile..she was content and I know she will be safer here. I have seen so many of the shop keepers feeding the dogs around here...so I am hoping she will be safe here.
I slowly walked off as I watched her exploring the new place she will now live. I hope she lives a good long life..and I wish I could have done more to help her...but this is the way it is here..and I know I have to accept it...
Shanti

3 comments:

Isabel said...

I know exactly how you feel. In India you come across situations like this all the time. I'm glad you found some kind souls who helped you out. I take care of the stray cats who come to my terrace. It's nice when they come to visit.

Wayne said...

Awww... Tracy, I'm glad you took care of that dog, 'cause if you didn't I was ready to hop a plane there and do it! No kindness is ever lost.

A bird in the hand said...

I knew you'd go back. I am so proud of you. Bless the people who helped and the vet who did it for free. xoxo