>

Wednesday, November 12, 2008


and then she just has to tease me.....how BAD do I want to be sitting right where she is...and I will be in 2 months time!


[WARNING: alotusgirl, get out tissues. Repeat: alotusgirl, please get out the tissues!]

Right now I'm sitting on the ghats (steps) of the holy Ganges River.

The water is calm.

There's a rowboat going by with an Indian couple in it, and there are three boats docked nearby.

A young man is scrubbing one with cloth, another painting the sides red and another gent with a yellow scarf watching them, not quite sure what to do with himself.

About a dozen yards away an old man sleeps in his boat after undoubtedly another long day of his long, hard, life.There are many sets of ghats (concrete steps) along the Ganges - some popular and well known, others small and less significant. I'm sitting at one of the small insignificant steps, called Chauki Ghat, enjoying a cigarette and a cold bottle of water. There are no touts swarming me. No beggars. No drivers trying to take me to a silk shop. (Although it smells a bit over here - which is probably why they haven't found me. Bearing the stench is worth the privacy, at least for a few precious moments!)All is at peace, and for that I am truly blessed and grateful - for this moment is one of the many moments that drove me to come to India. The future may be uncertain. Tomorrow's journey, nerve-wracking. But this moment is one of peace - and this moment is the only one that matters.

No comments: