>

Friday, February 22, 2008

The Waiting Game....in Magical India!








I was talking to my friend Tracey in Florida last night and telling her about the day I went to the Shala to buy some t-shirts and stuff....
I promised her I would post some stories on my blog now and then of my trip there last month....
so here goes...
One day I decided to go to Guruji's and see if I could buy some things to bring back as gifts..
I was told that if you don't practice at the shala...you won't be able to buy anything! Tip #1...Never say Never! Especially to me! That word does not exist in my world...
I showed up at the shala and walked up the infamous steps and entered the door...and there was Sharath..looking directly at me...and my heart fell into my stomach as the fear rose up inside of me. I thought to myself (briefly) Sharath is not going to let me buy anything since I don't practice here....
He said to me "Yes"?
I said to him "Hi Sharath, I was wondering if it would be OK if I bought some t-shirts from the shop"?
He said "You practicing here"?
I said "No, I am here dong some charity work with Tracy of Operation Shanti, I brought some shoes from America for the street kids"
He....silence and thinking...
Me...silence and hoping...
He said"You come back at 4:30 and you can buy"
Me...HUGE Smile...."OK, Thank You Sharath"
so I went outside and sat there on one of the cement stoops and thought I would wait...it was only one hour away and I just love to watch people...so I did.
The dog..who you may notice if you have been to Gokulum, as he's been around awhile came up and laid down in front of the shala's driveway with me..
then the little thin old man came over and sat next to me..and we smiled at one another...he never said a word...never asked me for a thing...just sat there with me for an hour...
but during that hour, actually every 15 mins or so as we sat there I gave him little gifts from my bag...
I found it fun~
first I gave him a banana..and held brought it to his third eye with hands in namaste thanking me...then I gave him a bottle of water..he looked rather thirsty and it was so warm out....he loved that...soon after the water I gave him 10 rupees...for later...chai or something...whatever...
he was just so cute to sit with me and keep me company...we conversed without speaking one word during that hour..I felt so close to him..it was really quite an experience..
right before it was time for me to go in and shop..I thought about how much money I would most likely be spending in the shala...and thought I would give my little friend one last parting gift..so I reached down into my bottomless bag..and pulled out a crisp 500 rupee note and looked at him with a big smile and handed it to him!
He was so surprised..and so thankful and just watching his reaction was more than I could have ever asked for in return! He let me take his picture and then I said "Namaste" and bowed to him as he did to me and I walked in.
Just another day in Magical India!



2 comments:

Hellotmf said...

Hi Tracy! I LOVED the photos - thanks so much for the talk last week. You are such a great person and great friend. One day I know we will meet in person! :-) Love, Tracey

Tracy said...

I loved it too!! Oh....don't worry about that..we will be getting together for a REALLY great time one day..soon!! I can hardly wait!
xxxooo Tracy