>

Sunday, July 28, 2013

And the Dosha verdict is in.....

PITTA!

I had always wanted to go to an Ayurvedic doctor in India and find out my constitution.
I just had to wait for the right doctor.
And I found him!

So today was my appointment and we hopped in a rickshaw and drove the distance to his clinic. He was pretty far away from our home here in Gokulam.

But we arrived as his previous client was leaving and entered his well kept room with all of his wonderful Ayurvedic potions well stocked amongst the orderly shelves.

I was so happy that Ray was with me (as I always am) because he asked me so many questions and Ray pretty much "kept me honest" with the right answers!!
It was actually quite comical and Dr. Rao got a kick out of us as well.

I don't have any "problems" per say..and the one thing I thought could be a problem, turned out to not be a problem at all! He told me it's Just Who You Are!
Because you see..I am a pretty wound up character generally. Even as a small child I was highly energetic and bouncy and bubbly...
I thought he might have a special Ayurvedic potion he could subscribe to me to make me..
well... r e l a x e d.
But quite the contrary actually. He thought I was just fine and dandy just the way I am!
So There!!

Now, had we of been in the US and I went to a regular medical doctor, I have a feeling he would have referred me to another sort of doctor (if you get my drift) and that other sort of doctor may have prescribed for me a nice bottle of meds to take me down about 5 notches (or so).
One of the Top reasons I do tend to steer more towards Natural Medicine if at all possible.

After my long and Very thorough question and answer session..in which All aspects of my person and personality were covered. He gave me the results..
and told me I am balanced in the Vata and Kapha Doshas, and my dosha is Pitta 

The Pitta dosha controls digestion, metabolism, and energy production. The primary function of Pitta is transformation.
Qualities of Pitta: Hot, light, intense, penetrating, pungent, sharp, acidic. Those with a predominance of the Pitta principle have a fiery nature that manifests in both body and mind.
Physical Characteristics: Pittas are usually of medium size and weight. They sometimes have bright red hair, but baldness or thinning hair is also common in a Pitta. They have excellent digestion, which sometimes leads them to believe they can eat anything. They have a warm body temperature They sleep soundly for short periods of time and have a strong sex drive. When in balance, Pittas have a lustrous complexion, perfect digestion, abundant energy, and a strong appetite. When out of balance, Pittas may suffer from skin rashes, burning sensations, peptic ulcers, excessive body heat, heartburn, and indigestion.
Emotional Characteristics: Pittas have a powerful intellect and a strong ability to concentrate. When they’re in balance, they are good decision makers, teachers, and speakers. They are precise, sharp-witted, direct, and often outspoken. Out-of-balance Pittas can be short-tempered and argumentative.
When Pittas are overstressed, their typical response is “What did you do wrong?”

I will admit here and now, that I was a bit apprehensive about going to see him, ONLY because I LOVE Chai SO much and was scared to death he would tell me that was One item I needed to eliminate in my diet..WRONG!!!

YIPEEEEEE!!! My god was I scared though....

He gave me a list of each food group and what I should avoid..and believe it or not, I pretty much eat that way already. Heck, he even said I could keep on eating the Mysore Pak (in moderation of course!) I'm telling you, this man is an Ayurvedic Saint Doctor!! LOVE Him!

He then prescribed 4 Ayurvedic potions for me to take. All are natural and most are plant based and one that he prescribed for me that I am to take in the afternoon tasted so good I wanted to drink the whole bottle in one gulp. But I resisted.

The potions he prescribed are basically for my hormonal changes as I am getting up there you know..
and one other which I won't reveal..(a girls gotta have Some secrets!)

I LOVE Natural Medicine. I always have. I always will. I am SO happy I went today and I will continue to use natural therapies as long as I can in my life. Because it's what I believe in.

(seen on our way to the Ayurvedic doctors home, a priest on his way to the temple, barefoot of course!)

Oh, one more thing. Today's cost for the one hour consultation, my constitution assessment as well as my four bottles of potions (that will last a month) $22.00.

What's Not to love about that I ask?? But only in India!

 

2 comments:

Angela said...

Very cute! Take advantage, take advantage, take advantage of ayurvedic!!! I still have my neem and other stuff that I take daily that I bought there in India.. It's so expensive here! XO

Tracy said...

I am for sure Angela! It just goes to show how much we get taken advantage of in the states... Eye opener every day!