>

Monday, July 15, 2013

A Party for Mahesh!

The phone call came a few days prior.
It was Meena inviting Ray and I to Mahesh's Surprise Birthday Party!!!

I arrived ahead of Ray as he had to make a trip into Mysore on the bus to pick something up.

I came down the street and saw Ashish, their oldest son just pulling up with his Grandparents (Mahesh's Parents) and then I figured I was late...
But Ashish said that in fact it was OK, that I was on time!
(I really, Really need to start understanding that the time I am used to and Indian time is much different and really quite relaxed. Always about 20 to 30 mins. later)

I came in the door and first saw Meena~ She looked Radiant and SO Happy!!!
We hugged and then I saw Mahesh. Talk about Radiant and Happy!!!! He was Glowing!



There were a few other guests in attendance. Yogis here for their practice and of course the parents and everyone was just really excited about being there. It was nice!

Kimo had brought Mahesh's cake for the party...
from "Cubs" and it was to die for!

we were all chatting and visiting, when all of a sudden Ashish walked into the room with his guitar. So I thought he was going to possibly play the Happy Birthday song to his father..
but then Meena came in and stood next to him and she said she was going to sing a song to Mahesh!





 
This song, as we all learned is a Very special song to them both.
The story goes like this...
On Mahesh and Meenas first date, Mahesh asked Meena to sing him a song and she chose this very same one. It is a song from a Bollywood movie. It touched us all..

After the wonderful performance by Meena, she told us all to come into the next room and there was dinner!
Yes, Dinner!
All home cooked of course and I was especially thrilled to see my favorite thing included...
Idli's! and of course Chutney.


Here are a few photos from the celebration...



This is Ashwin, Mahesh and Meenas youngest son~ pictured above.


 It was so cute, at one point in the evening, Meena came over and sat down on a chair and said "This is the First Birthday Party I have had for Mahesh"! She laughed...she said "Always for the boys, Ashish and Ashwin, but never Mahesh" It was just really cute how she laughed and surprised herself as well in throwing such a wonderful party for him!

and above is Aruna, Mahesh and Meena's sister in law and really such a lovely soul.
I almost felt as if I had known her all my life...it was quite strange really. I almost couldn't get over it.

My most Favorite part of the whole evening (well, other than Meenas song to Mahesh and the Idlis!!) was when they cut the cake and the parents fed a piece to Mahesh and Mahesh fed a piece to Meena! Indian Tradition at it's finest!













A Night to Remember for sure!!
Happy Birthday to you Mahesh! May you have many, Many more memorable birthdays to come my friend!




 

No comments: