>

Thursday, July 18, 2013

My Puja Room here in Mysore

So, there is one thing about our new home that thrills me to the bone.
Honestly. To the very core.
And it's my Puja Room.

I have always loved Puja rooms. I've always been mystified by them and have always wanted to know more about them and of course to have my own.

Now I do!

Yesterday we made our way into Mysore City to get the final touches to make it complete.
Thankfully our two dear friends met us there and took us right where we needed to go.
Devaraj Market.
A place that frankly, I don't care to visit all that often, but having our "seasoned" friends take us there made me see it through new eyes~
I actually think I quite love it now in fact!

But back to my Puja room...

The other evening we had to go down and pay our landlords a brief visit and in doing so, their Puja room caught my eye..and when the wife noticed my excitement she immediately took my hand and led me to the doors of it!
She then proceeded to teach me how she performs her twice daily dedication to the gods/goddess's that adorn her most Beautiful Puja room!!

She must have had most all of them in there as well...and this is India remember. The land of the Gods~
and those who know me best, know that This Is one of the very reasons I love India so Very much! You can feel them even in the very air you breathe and I Love It!!!

I learned so much from her that day and she insisted on giving me some "dhoop" sticks.
Very special ones. Ones that are very "important to god" she told me.
They look like these
after she lit one from the flame of her oil lamp and told me to smell it..I believed her. (I believed her anyway before that though). When it comes to religious pujas here in India. It is a pretty serious business and I am always touched by those experiences.

I went to the little tiny "stall" that sells these and bought all of the boxes they had but two.
They cost 15 rupees each and come with 3 big bags on each, as well as a little foil cup in which to burn them. But the smell is actually quite incredible and now one of my favorite parts of my daily routine when I perform my morning and evening puja.







 There is the oil for my oil lamps, the camphor and cotton and all of my incense and of course the very important dhoop sticks,

  that is the dhoop  stick in the small foil cup burning. My room in now complete and such a special part of our home. I love waking up and opening the doors to place the fragrant garland inside and begin our day here in India!
 
 
 
 

No comments: