>

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Welcome to your Beautful Life Peda!

Peda, Pheda or Pera (Kannada: ಪೇಡ, Urdu: پیڑا, Hindi: पेड़ा, pronounced [ˈpeːɽaː], Marathi: पेढा) is a sweet from the Indian subcontinent, usually prepared in thick, semi-soft pieces. The main ingredients are khoa, sugar and traditional flavorings, including cardamom seeds, pistachio nuts and saffron. The color varies from a creamy white to a caramel colour.
As with laddoos, pedas are sometimes used as prasad in religious services

On my last visit to India I fell in Love with Mysore Pak an Indian sweet with a slightly caramel flavor. I LOVED them!!
This time around I have fallen in Love with Pedas.
Below is a photo of what they look like and they are not as sweet as Mysore Pak, smaller in size and one is Perfect in the evening with a cup of Chai for dessert!

Then I met her....
 

She is a teeny, tiny little sprite of a baby that was wandering around the grounds of PFA.
I noticed her on my first visit, but as there are so many dogs running around the grounds I didn't focus entirely on her at first glance. But then I saw her again later on that same visit and I asked about her.

It seems as though she was born approximately around the time we left the US to fly to India..her mommy pushed her out of her womb and then she died.
She was born into this world without anyone really.

There was another mommy that had one puppy left and was nursing him and she took this little orphan on and nursed her as well...
but as you can see her little one is much larger and thus the little orphan girl got what she could.
My heart literally broke when I heard the story and I Knew in my Heart I had to take her and give her a new life.
A better life.
A chance at surviving really. Because, you see, I cannot even believe that she was still alive as it was, given her circumstances and the fact that there are so many large and some not so very nice dogs down there running around and she was a free shot really...
 
And so my husband and I left that day and just couldn't get her off our minds...
We came to the conclusion that we Had to take her away from PFA and bring her
back to the US and give her a good life.
 
                                                                                                                                                                 
We first had to OK it with the wonderful family that we are staying with of course.
Meena of "The Silver Nest" here in Gokulam. Well known by all of the Yogis and locals as she sells the BEST Silver Jewelry in all of Mysore and her prices can't be beat.

Meena told us that she would have to speak with her husband Mahesh that evening when he returned home and she would call up to us when they were finished talking.

I waited and paced and chanted and prayed...
and then I heard Meenas soft voice call from the foot of the marble stairway.."Tracy" and I knew it was time~~
Ray and I walked down the length of the stairway and into the the living room area and Mahesh greeted us and asked us to please sit.

He told us in no uncertain terms that it was Absolutely OK to bring her here and that it would be no problem at all!!! I actually Jumped for Joy! I did, you can ask Meena if you come by to do some silver shopping!!

I was just so happy, not only for us, but mostly for her..Peda.
That is the name Ray picked for her and I thought it was absolutely Perfect in every way~

The next day we went to get her and it was just such a wonderful thing in so many ways.
Something pretty auspicious happened actually on the way back to Meenas with the three of us, well 4 with Peda, well 5 as Kumar was driving the ricky.
But Jonathan said all of a sudden as the sky opened up and the rain came Pouring down as we drove away from the grounds of People for Animals...

He said just this "Tracy, this is sort of like a Baptism..a shedding of the past and the bringing in of a new life for her"
My eyes got teary, because it was.
It really, really was.

Peda got home and we washed her up as she was quite the mess.
She was so awfully dirty all over her little body, as all she has ever known is dirt and the outside.
No love really..nobody held her and talked to her. She was just another one of the animals at PFA that roamed around the grounds.

Her tiny little ears were Filled with Ticks, Fleas and Larvae. It was pretty frightening actually. But I got them all out of her ears...it was a challenge.
Then I noticed that she had a terrible cough...and she was so awfully thin that her ribs were protruding out.
Her eyes were extremely sad as well...



I called Boushan, the most Wonderful man who is a Vet here in Gokulam and where we bought all the pet food for the animals at PFA. I told him how worried I was for her and what I was seeing and he told me to bring her to his home at 6pm and he would help her.

We were there at 6pm sharp...not 6pm Indian time...
He was right there at the door waiting for us and he went to work.
He gave her an injection for the Ticks and Fleas and also for her cough.

Then he said something that I will never forget.
He said "You have done a very good thing here. If you would not have taken her, in three days she would have expired" (that means died in Indian terms)

She went back again this evening for her second round of shots and her de-worming medication and tomorrow she will return one last time for her third shot.
And we are invited to stay for tea..(that means Chai in Indian terms and I LOVE CHAI!)

Peda is doing so much better already and she is such a smart little girl. She reminds me so much of my beautiful Bindi!! I know they are going to Love each other so much!
Peda lets us know when she has to go potty and she goes to the door to go out!
Not one slip up Yet!
She is eating Science Diet kibble mixed with wet and a little water...
She eats about every four hours and drinks water from her dish.



This is her at night and I do believe she has never felt such Peace and Love in her 6 short weeks she has been alive...
And this is only just the beginning.
Welcome to your Beautiful Life Peda!!!

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done Tracy.

A bird in the hand said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I had to get up and pace a little before I could sit down and write this. My heart is full. I love what you're doing. And I love you.

Karen said...

Hi Tracy,

Peda is beautiful. She must be so happy. Is the vet you are going to the vet who is across the road from Tina's? And is it the same person who has the pet food store down at the corner of Tina's road and Main Street? I want to know these things for my next visit.

Tracy said...

Thank You Anu! I know you'd have a house full if you could!

Colette~You know how I feel about animals. The same way you do. I love you too and I know you would do the same thing if you were here. xxx

Karen~ No, that is not the vet I am referring to. There is a photo of him on my post on the day we went and bought the food for the animals and there is the photo of his shop as well.
His name is long and complicated..he goes by Boushan and his wife is Shantala. I have their phone numbers for you when you need them. His home is on Contour Road just at the end of Anus street and up that hill a bit on the left side. I will get the address tonight and PM it to you.
They are both genuine, down to earth, Honest and Good people. You see it the moment you lay eyes on them.
Kind of like you ;~) xoxoxox