>

Friday, June 6, 2008


on the airplane to India in January this year, I sat next to a most interesting gentleman. He was a Pediatrician, who happened to live about 20 miles from where I live...and he was from Pakistan..
he was on his way there to visit his parents and meet up with his wife and three children. He would be spending three months in Pakistan..with his family. We had some pretty interesting conversations...it was a long flight! But we both agreed when we parted in Singapore that being seated next to one another was a very special treat and we both agreed it made the trip so much more enjoyable.
He resembled the musician "Yanni" so much so that I just felt I had to tell him this..to which he gave a sweet smile and nodded his head telling me that the girls at the grocery store call him Yanni~
He was impressed with the fact that I was so drawn to be in India..and that I was bringing a suitcase filled with children's shoes at that. He asked me many questions and I him...we both came from different upbringings, and worlds apart, but the fact that we were able to connect so deeply just in conversation and thoughts made me realize that we are all so connected in this life. We are all ONE...if we can just learn to look at others and see what lies beneath the surface.
He took such good care of me on that flight..knowing how much I was missing my husband and that this was my very first trip "solo" back to my beloved India.
He told me about how I should look into the possibility of perhaps finding a way to have my trips "Paid For" by Doctors and those who wish to donate supplies to the different cities in India..in which I would be taking them over for them...I was all for it! But didn't have a clue on how to go about it all...
I would love to do that one day..even be a volunteer for an organization that does work in India...
that is my dream, until I one day will live there. But just the thought of helping the less fortunate and making their lives just a little bit better by bringing them things that would help them live a better more healthy and comfortable life..Excites me to the bone!
I wish that I had some of the money that many people are so fortunate to have so that I could use it to make the lives of the children and families in India easier and better...
One of my dreams that I have is this~
Whenever I am in Mysore I pass by schools..and they have these huge dirt playgrounds and I see all of the children outside during recess playing with a ball...and what I envision for them is some playground equipment to play on during their breaks.
I know it seems impossible to have that equipment shipped over there...but it's what I see when I walk by those schools, and I see all of those children on the dirt playing with a ball.
I know I think about things like this a lot of the time..as we have so much here..that we most of the time just take for granted...but I can't ever get the image of the children walking down the street with a stick and an old tire and that is what they have to play with.
Oh, one day..maybe I can do more!
OM Shanti~

5 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

You will, one day. And one day I'll have some real money, and I'll donate. Yes, we will! xoxo

Tracy said...

love you!
tracy

The Massey Family said...

I don't really know of anything like that, but if you find out, let me know! I know their are places that you can vlounteer your timein India, but I am not sure if they pay for your ticket over, and I know you need to give a minimum time commitment. Maybe you should just start your own NGO!

The Massey Family said...

I did hear about this NGO while I was in Chennai:

http://thefamilyindia.org/home/

Tracy said...

good info meagan! maybe WE can start our own one day!! ;0)
that would be good!!
tracy~