>

Monday, October 26, 2009

"Be the Change"




I wanted to take a moment and give you an update on the absolutely Wonderful outcome that we have had thus far with next years charity for the children of Operation Shanti in Mysore, South India.

I have had so many gracious souls step forward to donate and I want to tell you all Thank You so much. Because without you...none of this would be possible.
As many of you who know...and I say this because there are so many who keep helping and donating year after year.
It all began in 2008 when I wanted to take something to the children that would be of some good for them. I came up with "Walking in their Shoes" and blogged about it here and I only needed 35 pairs of shoes as that is how many children there were at that time...but I received an overwhelming 95 pairs of shoes!! Many from you, my readers who sent me shoes or money to purchase shoes. I took them to Mysore that year...and my sweet husband sewed each child a shoe bag and we wrote their name on each one...

Then earlier this year we went back to see the children at their new home called Karunya Mane..and there are now 45 children who reside in this wonderful new place they call home.
We were able to take 70 pounds of Art Supplies...again, which so many of you helped donate...
I really don't know how I could have done any of this, without all of you!

I wanted to do something again..for the children..for next year. I don't think I will be able to fly to Mysore next year. Sadly.
So I wanted to come up with an idea for the new charity that would honor Guruji. Our beloved Shri K. Pattabhi Jois who passed away earlier this year...who resided in the same town that the children of Operation Shanti reside in.
I wanted to "Give Back" a little something that Guruji has given all of us. All of us who practice his method of Ashtanga Yoga...

I found a very special woman who agreed to work diligently on making these beautiful "bubble pendants" for me so that I could sell them and make money for the children of Operation Shanti...(more on this special soul to come!)
that they could have some things that otherwise they would not be able to have..
I had No idea how popular these would be...I just knew that I loved the first one that I had made, and got this "hunch" that perhaps the Yogis and Yoginis all over the world who teach and practice this wonderful practice would also love them and treasure them in memory of Guruji.

I was right.
I began this new charity on my birthday last month..September 22nd, and to this day we have sold 58 "Practice for the children Pendants" raising $925.00 for the children of Operation Shanti!

We are selling them for 34.00 and that includes shipping anywhere in the world, and they have been sent Everywhere across the globe!
They are becoming quite popular as friends are sharing links on Facebook and showing them to others and the orders just keep on coming in....
It has been truly a dream come true~

They are wonderful gifts and come beautifully packaged in a crisp white box filled with teal crinkle paper and wrapped in lovely tissue tucked into a Burgundy Silk Organza bag...and included in each box is a very special card that I had made especially for this charity...the little girl on the front of the card is a child from Operation Shanti named "Sumitra" with her hands in Namaste~~

We All want to Thank All of you who have purchased a "Practice for the children Pendant" and to those who are considering ordering one..I Thank You as well in advance~
"May we All Be the Change we wish to see in the World"
Because together...we Can be!

Shanti~~

No comments: